The imports of the poultry meat form the European Union member states is based on trade agreements between the EU and particular third countries. The agreements are in line with the EU regulations and particular requirements presented by the third countries. The institutions responsible for setting the requirements and regulations are: on the EU level – the European Commission, on the local level of the EU member states – veterinary authorities, Ministries of Health, Ministries of Agriculture, Ministries of Trade or Ministries of International Cooperation. These agreements are comprised of a number of principles that generally govern the cooperation with the EU countries, yet they are adapted to the specificity and legal acts of particular parties signing these agreements.
In the case of the food imports from a particular member states it has to be verified on the websites of veterinary institutions of particular countries if certain rulings concerning a given product are not regulated by agreements signed by the governments of the importer and the exporter.
General conditions for the importers of the poultry meat from the European Union:
- All the poultry products produced for the EU market and exported need to be produced in line with the European Union law confirming high safety and hygiene standards, quality standards, animal and natural environment welfare. A documentation confirming that the above enlisted norms were met is compulsory in the process of exportation food outside the European Union and is controlled by the proper institutions in the importing countries during the licensing process for the product’s distribution.
- Only the entities possessing exporting authorization are entitled to export the poultry meat from the EU to the third countries. They remain under the constant supervision of the veterinary authorities of a particular member state and regular controls of the controlling authorities of the European Union (FVO) and proper authorities in the countries importing the EU poultry meat.
- Before starting cooperation with a meat producer from the European Union, an importer should learn about the detailed specification of the legal and duty requirements governing the poultry meat market in the target country. This information is open for general use and all the updates are presented on the European Commission website in the part dedicated to the trade cooperation (europa.eu). The documents present detailed information about the general conditions of the cooperation and trade agreements, the food sector including the meat products, labeling, customs, customs clearance, compulsory quality certificates.
- Detailed information about the elementary regulations concerning export of the poultry meat from the EU to the third countries, including a list of entities certified to export from a given country, documents that need to be presented with the goods exported including health certificates, and agricultural and food requirements of a given market are available on the websites of the veterinary institutions of particular countries. These documents comprise the basis for the trade between the EU producer and the meat importer.
- The import of food products from the EU member states, including the poultry products, may be a subject to duties the amount of which is regulated by the law and may be subject to change as a result of trade agreements.
- The exporters from the European Union are obliged to confirm the legality of the products with the laws applicable on the territories of the third countries concerning such areas as: product norms, hygiene and production safety, standards of the production facilities. Additionally, a confirmation issued by the veterinary authorities of a particular country stated on the health certificate accompanying a product serves as an additional proof of the safety and quality of the products exported.
- The products exported from the EU member states undergo detailed custom controls, including the monitoring of the production chain and the uniformity with the labels. The scope of control is determined by the regulations of the importing country.
- If any contagious illnesses or any other hazards influencing health qualities of the food products or health of the importing country’s inhabitants may occur, the third country may introduce temporary or complete ban on the imports of a particular segment of the food products.
Conditions of the poultry meat import to China:
Poultry meat may be imported only by the exporters registered in a proper governmental unit responsible for quality and inspection (AQSIQ). Additionally, the products may come exclusively from the producers approved by the Chinese CNCA authority and they should comprise a list conducted by this authority. The veterinary authorities of the exporting country need to confirm the uniformity of the production facility and the final product with a proper sanitary, veterinary, and quality requirements and they need to confirm that the products come from the areas free of contagious animal illnesses.
The exporter is to present the AQSIQ with a detailed description of the production process, including the consent to use particular additives to food.
Parcels containing animals or animal derived products undergo a detailed control by the customs office in regards to the compulsory veterinary certificates for the animal derived products. It might be required to present the certificate of the analysis of this sector of product’s contents.
The imported food products, including meat products, are assessed by a special commission in line with the Chinese quality and safety standards and might be introduced to the market only after a proper license is issued.
The food importers are obliged to conduct detailed documentation about purchasing and selling products, especially detailed data of the European exporter. The documents mentioned need to be preserved for at least six months after the expiration date of a given product.
All the food products imported to China which are not re-packed in China, need to have labels in Chinese.
Conditions of the poultry meat import to Hong Kong
- In the case of trade agreements with Hong Kong which is characterized by an exempt of the majority of customs, one needs to remember about obeying the time limits applicable in Hong Kong and following a series of e-registering and paper procedures dedicated to custom control.
- The animal derived products imported to Hong Kong have to comply with a series of veterinary and custom requirements presented by the proper authorities.
- Although Hong Kong does not impose duties on the majority of the products, one needs to remember and check the updated custom data for the imported products.
- The poultry meat importers are obliged to register and obtain the importing license in the Department of the Food Hygiene and Environment.
- In Hong Kong, there is no central authority responsible for the norms and standards of the food products. The majority of regulations in that area are the regulations of the international law. Before commencing trade cooperation, one has to learn about all the requirements as in certain cases Hong Kong applies certain quality norms.
- One of the elementary requirements that needs to be met to obtain a permit for food product trade is to document that a product meets health requirements, it does not contain additional substances, and is packed in strict conditions. Each poultry meat freight needs to be accompanied with a veterinary health certificate in which the authorities of the exporting country confirm that all the above mentioned requirements were met. The authorities of Hong Kong have a right to conduct random controls of the quality and composition of the products imported to Hong Kong.
Conditions of the poultry meat import to Vietnam
- Both the exported products and the production facilities need to meet a number of sanitary and hygiene requirements that confirm meeting the safety conditions of the food produced.
- The animal derived food products can be imported exclusively from the production facilities located on the territory of the European Union which were registered and are present on the list prepared by a proper Department of the Vietnamese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (NAFIQAD).
- Customs declarations need to be presented at least 30 days prior to the freight. Before presenting a declaration, one needs to learn about all the requirements as in the case of certain products particular attachments are compulsory, such as: invoices, certificates of origin, importation permits and other permits issued by proper authorities.
- The animal derived imported goods need to be accompanied with: veterinary certificates on animal health that include detailed information concerning the parcel and transportation which are filled out by the exporter and a declaration of the veterinary physician of the exporting country that certain contagious animal illnesses have not occurred and the product has a high health quality.
- All the products imported to Vietnam might be a subject to control before the final introduction to the Vietnamese market – both freight documents and the product themselves, their specimen and analysis. In the case of the poultry meat, the Vietnamese authorities can demand that the importers present additional documents, such as: the certificate stating the standards of the product, a certificate for the control of the hygiene and safety of the production facility, certificate for the food safety, hygiene standards and the standards applicable in a particular production facility.
- It needs to be emphasizes that a key role in the trade relations between Vietnam and the European Union plays the Free Trade Agreement signed at the end of 2015. Thanks to trade liberalization, i.e. abolishing custom and non-custom barriers, the import of various goods, including the poultry meat, will significantly rise.
Conditions of the poultry meat import to the United Arab Emirates
- According to the information published on the website of the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment, it is allowed to import the poultry meat to the UAE from all the production facilities confirmed by the proper veterinary authorities of the European Union.
- The processes of the food product registration, including the poultry meat, might be conducted through the electronic registration system. The majority of the processes concerning imports is delivered through the Internet.
- The freights of the animal derived products undergo veterinary controls in the customs office and the freight needs to be accompanied with proper health certificates and documents, including the Halal certificate.
- International producers exporting the meat product to the UAE need to prove that a particular production facility is controlled and obeys the Islamic regulations of Halal in accordance with the confessional association accredited by the UAE.
- License data concerning all the importers, including local companies, authorizes representatives and warehouses are available on the dedicated electronic service provided by the UAE.
- The freight of the products coming from Israel or produced in the cooperation with Israel is strictly prohibited.